Sunday, August 17, 2014

I'm Just A Mom

The other day at the salon we had a client/friend come in and I was at the front desk.
I greeted her and we started chatting.
I am not sure how we got on the subject, but she said
"people I know are doing exciting things in their lives and I'm just a mom"
I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist.
I replied,
"You are more than a mom you are a great mom that has raise three really great kids"
At the time it made me feel sad, but I just can't get that statement out of my head.

At what point in our lives did being "just a mom"
become something not exciting.
As a mom we have lots and lots of jobs.
Doctor, nurse, housekeeper, banker, counselor, grocery shopper, playmate, chef Wonder Woman, taxi, chef, confidant, someone our kids can count on, trust and come to with every need.
Moms have the power to kiss owies better and to hug away the days worries.
As moms we are love in human form.

We rise early and drop into bed exhausted.
We put our needs aside and our kids first.
We work hard to give our kids what we didn't have.
We work hard at making sure our kids know they are loved and cherished.

And let me tell you about the mom I stated above.
She isn't just a mom.
She is a woman that has reached out to probably hundreds of kids.
She has been a sounding board, a confidence builder, a safe place, an encourager and she has loved.
Her impact reaches far and wide.
Because as moms we are never just our kids moms we are everybody's mom.

For me, she told me when I got out of beauty school how proud she was of me and that she knew I was going to do great.
She always had time to talk to me and give me an encouraging word.
She never made me feel like she was too busy to chat.
She probably doesn't even know the impact she had with the words she shared with me.

I'm just a mom too.
I don't do exciting things by the worlds standards, but my hope is that when my kids grow up that they will say
"My mom,
loved me,
cared for me,
provided a safe environment to grow,
showed me I could be and do anything I wanted,
encouraged me,
took me on adventures in our own backyard,
was my biggest cheerleader,
kept me in check,
made me responsible,
held me accountable and
supported me in good and bad days"

Being a mom is the most important job I have right not.
Above all else it is the job with the highest stakes and the biggest reward.
I'm not always good at it.
 At times I serve frozen pizza and cereal for dinner and sometimes I even yell at my kids, but when I tuck those little critters snug in their nest and they wrap their arms around my neck and whisper "I love you"  there is no better feeling.
I know that no matter where this life brings me I want people to remember me as a
mom.
 Mama Kallie is my favorite thing to be.

Blessed is me...

1 comment: