Monday, October 21, 2013

It's true. I yell at my kids.

After my post about our first week of school and how I yell at my kids I have gotten some comments about yelling. 
Some people are surprised that I yell at my kids, some are glad that they aren't the only ones and some aren't happy about it because "it isn't good for their spirit" Um ok?
I mostly yell because well, they make me yell at them!

Most recently this has happened..

Jameson comes in from the field the cows are in. 
His barn boots covered in fresh poop!
He slides his boots off at the back door leaving them on the door mat.
This reveals his sockless feet-he knows this is a no no- which are disgustingly dirty.
He is also opting out of wearing pants unless they are sweatpants so he had shorts on.
The lower half of his legs had green smears on them. 
Those smears are cow poop!
As I am telling him to jump in the shower to wash off all the poop he runs into Madalyn's room and climbs up on her BED!
Dirty rotten smelling feet and cow poop legs on her bed!
Commence yelling.
"JAMESON GET OFF HER BED YOU HAVE COW POOP ALL OVER YOUR LEGS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GET IN THE SHOWER!"
I mean really what is another load of laundry???

And then this..
Madalyn opens the fridge to grab the grape juice. While she is grabbing the juice bottle the feta cheese smashes to the floor sending those little precious cheese curds flying.
They spread from one end of the kitchen to the next. 
She comes to tell me the cheese fell out of the fridge tracking the cheese on the bottom of her shoes into the living room.
I tell her she needs to get it cleaned up.
She proceeds to grab broom at the back door tracking more cheese across the house.
She then sweeps the cheese under the fridge, down the stair, under the stairs past the washer and dryer to the door mat where she leaves it.
She then comes back to tell me she cleaned it up best she could but some cheese is still on the floor. I suggest a wet paper towel to get the rest.
I hear the slap of a sopping wet dish towel hit the floor.
When I walk into the kitchen the floor looks like a bucket of water had been poured over the cheese.
A mess of epic proportions.
Yelling..
"GO OUTSIDE! GO!"
I then mop up the water and vacuum up every last piece of cheese on the floors that had just been vacuumed the night before.

Or when:
Jameson wears his school shoes in the chicken coop.
Madalyn argues about why she has to wear a long shirt or a skirt over her leggings EVERY time she puts a pair on.
They fight, poke, and bug each other after continuous requests to stop whatever it is they are doing.
Or when I am pmsing and could ram someone when they cut me off in the round about.
Or when I have had a long day at work pleasing person after person and I'm spent by the time I get home only to be greeted by complaints about what I am making for dinner.
or, or, or..

Life gets hard and sometimes my patience wear thin.
Are these my BEST parenting moments? Heck no, but they are normal.
We get frustrated and impatient.

My dear friend Diana tells me
"Parenting isn't for the faint at heart. It takes courage"
I couldn't agree more!

We are just imperfect people trying to do our best job to raise kids who are:
respectful
thankful
honest
safe
carefree
happy
the list goes on and on and on.
It is a LONG HARD list if you are doing it right.

And guess what!?
Despite the occasional sometimes daily yelling my kids are happy!
They laugh from the pits of their bellies.
They run and play
They love and hug and snuggle me.
They both sing in the shower.
At bedtime even on bad days Madalyn wraps her arms around my neck and squeezes me tight and Jameson tries to pull me into his bed.
My kids are loved and they know it.


Blessed is me..

No comments:

Post a Comment