Friday, September 6, 2013

Whew..

We made it!
The first week of school is under our belts. It is always a hectic week getting back on schedule. 
The kids weren't super excited to get back to the 7:30 bedtime, but by last night they were out in minutes. Thank goodness cause I fell asleep soon after.

I offered to bring the kids to school all week, but by day two Jameson was tired of waiting for me to get ready for work so he chose the bus. Little did he know that by the time the bus got to Aspmo Road we were right behind him.

Madalyn has only had one slight meltdown about what to wear to school
I wanted her to wear leggings, but she said
"I HAVE P.E. TODAY AND LEGGINGS DON'T LOOK GOOD WITH TENNIS SHOES!"

The task of packing lunches has been handed over to them sandwiches included.
Last year Jer made their sandwiches, but they are fine to do it themselves now. Only a little bit of peanut butter and jelly gets on the counter.
In order to ensure that they are eating healthy snacks and enough of them I started a snack bin area in our pantry.
We have 3 bins.
1 has assorted crackers
1 has fruit leather, twists and no sugar added fruit cups
and 1 has granola bars and cookies
They can pick one item from each bin add a juice pouch and a cheese stick from the fridge.
It has helped me to feel good about what they are eating for lunch, but letting them feel good about having choices.
This week their lunch sacks have come home empty!
They are STARVING when they get home and go straight for the fridge.

This morning Madalyn wanted to sleep in and Jameson suggested that since it had been so stormy last night that we stay home from school today. Both great ideas I thought, but we persevered and made it through Friday.

Tonight wasn't as smooth sailing and it's true I yelled at Jameson. Sometimes he can FRUSTRATE me!
Me: "Jameson please put your shoes and sock on so we can leave"
Jameson comes back with shoes on
Me: "Do you have socks on?"
Jameson: "No! socks make my feet sweat and I don't like it"
Me: "I asked you to put socks on and I'd like you to do what I ask"
Jameson: "I don't want to these AREN'T sweat socks they are just socks and they make me sweat and it makes my shoes stinks"
Me: "get your socks and shoes on so we can leave!"
Jameson "I DON'T WANT TO WEAR SOCKS!"
Me: "GET YOUR SOCKS ON AND STOP ARGUING WITH ME DO WHAT I SAY WHEN I SAY IT AND WE WON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!"
Jameson: "Fine!"

After getting some food in their tummy's things settled down and all the arguing stopped as well as the yelling. Now the kids are snuggled in watching a movie, yawning with heavy eyes. 
I am sure that Jameson will be up at the crack of 5:30 and Madalyn will sleep as long as Jameson lets her. He usually "accidentally" wakes her up.

All and all it was a smooth week of getting back in the swing of more scheduled days.
 Jameson has Mrs. Herr this year and he really likes her so far. She is a younger teacher and has a very gentle demeanor and seems pretty organized. 
Just what he likes.
Madalyn has what many have referred to as the "dream team"
She has two teachers that are job sharing this year.
Mrs Grauff and Mrs. Biederman.
They are both teaching 2 days one week and 3 days the next.
I am really excited about this set up because both teachers get to teach to their strengths and will have plenty of rest time after wrangling 25+ 2nd graders!
Mad is happy because she has some friends in her class.

I think this year is going to be full of learning new things, stretching our wings, making new friends and I am sure a little bit of yelling. Well, because I am a yeller.

Blessed is me..

No comments:

Post a Comment