Friday, August 15, 2014

"How Do You Know When People Do Crossfit?"


"They tell you"
So jokes The Farmer and it's true.
You can't help yourself.
You have to tell people.

I just finished my second crossfit On Ramp class at Vahvuus Crossfit.
Five weeks of getting my butt whipped!
I missed one week because of fair.
 
I initially was terrified.
Carol, who works with me, has been doing it over a year and has ask and encouraged everyone at work come join her.
I have clients who are passionate about it.
It is all they talked about and they want you to join in too.
I was terrified because I didn't know what to expect.
I mean, lets be honest walking into a gym full of people who have been doing crazy things you've seen on Facebook for a long time is intimidating.

It also sounds a little crazy with their terminology.
WOD
The Box
EMOM
AMRAP
Snatch
Toe To Bar
Burpee (or hell as I like to call it)
Double Under
Sumo Deadlift High Pull
Uh, what?!

Enter On Ramp
A class full of beginners.
Learning proper technique, form and what all those crazy terms mean with a coach.
I was invited by my friend, Kate, who is a coach at the gym
Class would be at 5 am.
I signed up and invited my longest friend Char.
We did On Ramp and On Ramp 2.0 together.

The warm up before class includes:
400 meter run which is 2 laps around the building
6 different stretches
and
some work with a pvc bar to stretch out arms.

Now, the warm up could be a workout for some (me) and when I started I couldn't even run an entire lap around the building.
By the 3rd class I could run farther than the 1st class.
By the 2nd week I could go even farther.
Now I can run both laps without stopping.
Success!

After the warm up we get into technique.
This takes 30-40 minutes.
Then the last 20+ minutes is the workout.
The workouts are HARD and when you meet Fran you will think she is a snatch even modified
They aren't long workouts and sometimes you will think you can't do it.
You will breathe hard-if you can breathe, feel death knocking at your door, need water, cry and maybe even throw up, but you will finish and when you do
You will feel like a warrior!
Not. Kidding.
It is a serious accomplishment especially when you do better than you have before.

I hate it while I'm doing it
and
I love it when I finish.
I want to tell everyone about it
and
I want you to come too!

One of the biggest reasons I have come to love it is 
EVERYONE can do it.
It doesn't matter your size, your age, your skill level or if you've ever worked out before.
Every single thing we do can be modified to fit your own needs.
If you can't do a push up there is 4 ways to do it until you can do one that fits the crossfit standard.
You don't have to lift heavy weights, but can use a pvc bar, then one filled with sand until you can move onto an empty bar, then onto 5lb plates and up from there.
EVERYTHING can be modified.
Except burpees.
Those you just have to do your best to not look like a fish flopping on the ground.
This isn't about who in the room is the best or about who finishes first.
It is about doing YOUR best.
Being strong and successful.

Another thing I love is that as people finish no one leaves.
They stay and cheer you on.
They come along side you and run with you.
They sit at your feet and count down how many sit ups you have left telling you "you can do it"
In one hour they become your family.

I now understand why people who crossfit tell everyone, talk about it constantly and post every workout on Facebook.
It is like a cult (not in the creepy way) and you want every person you see to join.

The days I go to the gym I feel invigorated and have more energy.
I feel like I can climb a mountain!
You will also want to show everyone your new muscle tone.
I think The Farmer is tired of seeing my new biceps.
Too bad! He has to humor me.

If you are ready for a change, want to get healthy, but most importantly want to be strong not only in body, but in mind I would encourage you to contact one of the Vahvuus coaches or someone who works out in "the box"
You'll be glad you did!

Oh, and as the sign states on the door
"Check your ego at the door. It doesn't matter where you finish, only that you finish with integrity and give it a solid effort.
Leave the gym better than when you walked in.
Head high and be proud,
this stuff is hard."

Blessed is me...

1 comment: