Friday, August 8, 2014

5 months After I Cut Out Gluten

It's been 5 months since I gave up gluten.
It has wrecked my life and changed my life.

Wrecked it because
I miss toast. 
I love toast and gf bread just doesn't quite cut it like a piece of delicious potato bread slathered in butter and topped with jam my mom made.
Sometimes I want a cookie from Peter Pan!
The big soft snickerdoodles or the molasses ones.
Who am I kidding I want one of each!
Pasta
GF pasta sucks in a major way.
 I've tried them all and it just doesn't cut it.
It falls apart and it super unappetizing when reheated.
There is also a fine line between not cooked enough and mush.
I like spaghetti squash, but who has time to cook that when you don't have a microwave.
Not. Me.

 Changed my life because
I feel better than I have in years.
No more pain, sore muscles or joints.
All the symptoms I had previously are gone.
That is unless I eat gluten.
I have more energy 
I just finished my 5th week of CrossFit this morning.
I would NEVER had been able to do this 5 months ago.
There will be more on this in a future post. 
I'm sure you'll be waiting with bated breath.
I feel light and not bloated.
You never know how bloated you feel until you don't anymore.
 Sometimes I cheat and knowingly eat gluten and I regret it everytime!
Last week at fair I ate hamburgers and red licorice.
Both were delicious.
Both made me feel like crap!
I knew it would and I did it anyways.
Within hours I feel awful.
Not. Kidding. HOURS!
My joints get hot.
My shoulders get tight.
My elbows feel like they have tripled in size
My back gets tight
I feel exhausted and bloated. 
The symptoms last for days.
I am beginning to learn it just isn't worth it.

I've just had to learn how to substitute foods.
I've been baking GF desserts for years because The Farmers mom and our nephew haven't eaten gluten for a long time.
I have a drawer full of different flours because when you bake GF it takes more than one kind of flour to get the correct texture.
UNTIL!
came along.
It really is cup for cup in the recipes I have used it in and you can't even tell a difference.
The bread is even light and fluffy in comparison to most gf bricks I mean breads.
I made zucchini bread with it a couple weeks ago and two loaves were gone in one day.
It also doesn't have a beany after taste that a lot of GF flour does.
 I'm going to try a yeast bread today.

This chocolate cake is my most requested dessert.
There is NEVER any left.
It is rich and delicious and has no flour at all.
You will need a good blender or food processor to get all the quinoa smooth.
If you make it DO NOT use Bob's Red Mill baking mix for the frosting or you will have bean flavored frosting.
Blech..
Coconut flour is a great option for the frosting.

As far as breaded foods like fish etc.
I just haven't found the right thing yet.
If I am making the family steak fingers I will either skip and add an avocado or I will cheat and eat some.
Then feel like garbage for a few days.

I also eat more eggs than I ever have.
It's just an easy thing to grab and go.
There aren't a lot of tasty grab and go foods that are gf.
Everything has to be prepared and I'm kind of lazy.

If you're feeling crappy, have Fibromyalgia, joint or muscle pain I would recommend cutting out gluten and seeing how you feel.
You have to try it for at least 21 days.
I wouldn't have never believed it if I hadn't tried it.
I have been rootin for gluten along with The Farmer.
It could change the way you feel for the better.
Someday I might even get smart and stop eating it all together. 

If you think it is a bunch of malarky like I did feel free to ask
The Farmer
and
All the girls I work with
They will tell you how much pain I was in and how good I feel now.

Now if I can just get a handle on my sugar addiction! 

Blessed is me...

No comments:

Post a Comment