Sunday, August 3, 2014

We Survived Fair 2014

 
We did it!
We survived fair week.
Sometimes I wasn't sure I would.
It was a busy week!

 


We woke up at the fair

And went to bed at the fair

The kids ate super healthy breakfasts of Italian Soda and fresh donut holes even though we had plenty of camping cereal in the trailer.
They each got an allowance everyday to spend how they saw fit.
It was all spent on fair food.
 

Jameson was up early everyday to muck his pen and feed his animals.
He did such a good job and never had to be told to get it done.
He even helped out other kids when they needed it.


Jameson didn't show until Thursday, but he still had to be at the fair everyday.
I tried many times to get both kids to come home and rest, but neither one would have anything to do with that! 
Why take a break when you can have free run of the fairgrounds!?
The barn closed at 9pm and I don't think there was a night he left before the barn super made him.
Tuckered out every night

 

Mad, our fancy farm girl, spent much of her time hanging with her friends watching the stage entertainment and acting like she was much older than 8.
 She, of course, had many outfit changes during the week.


She also entered a flower arrangement into the exhibit hall.
She was NOT impressed with the "participation" ribbon she received as did all Cloverbuds that entered projects.
She has plans for some exhibit hall projects for next year and I'll be sure to help her get them entered as open class rather than Cloverbud because she wants a PURPLE ribbon!
 Thank goodness my mom can mentor her in her sewing and canning projects because I have very limited sewing capabilities and only tired my hand at canning once.
I think it will be fun for both of them to work together on some projects.


She also got to be a ribbon girl during the sheep showmanship.
Everyone is so quick to let all the kids be helpers.
 It's just one of the many things I love about 4H and fair.
Notice her fancy fair belt she bought with her own money a few months ago.


You can bet when this girl hits 4th grade she is going to have so much sparkle on during show that you will need sunglasses to watch. 

For Jameson, The Farm Manager, it was a week of
growth, uncomfortableness, and confidence building. 

He learned that when you wash your animals that you do the best job the first time and you wont have to redo it
Twice.

He got pep talks from The Farmer and Papa Moo
both 4H Alumni
 




He learned that fellow 4H kids are always willing to lend a hand.
This fellow 4Her has been showing goats for a few years and won her fair share of ribbons.
She spent time with Jameson going over what he could expect even taking him and his goat in the show ring to practice.
I appreciate so much how the older kiddos always mentor the little kids.


Ruby garnered a lot of attention from the goat fans and even has some offers to buy her.
He declined those offers.
Ruby won
Champion and blue ribbons for the beeder novice class
and 
Grand Champion overall
Jameson plans to bring her back next year.



Kody, while he didn't make weight as a market animal, did great in the wether class.
He won
Reserve Champion Novice and a blue.
Jameson chose Kody to show for showmanship and won another blue.


 
 Jameson also learned what it means to support your friends.
Jameson watched his friend and fellow Melville Livestock member, Jack, show his pigs and Jack in return watched Jameson.
You could also find them paling around together.
There has been talk of their plans for next years fair.
These boys have know each other since they were wee little babes and I foresee them having a great friendship through the years.



There were times of tears.
Before he showed the first time because he was unsure of what to expect.
 This was the hardest for me and I refrained from going over to talk to him.
I would have just made it worse.

When he won his first purple ribbon with Ruby his breeding goat.
He headed straight for The Farmer tears welling up in his eyes.
 
Jameson has long wanted to win a trophy since seeing them at the Astoria Aquatic Center, but never thought he would have the chance since he isn't a sports guy.
When his Grandma Moo, The Farmers mom, showed him all the purple ribbons and belt buckles that The Farmer had earned over his years in fair he decided 
purple ribbons are what he wanted.
He did it!
I would have been proud with any ribbon, but to see him overflowing with pride made me teary.


He proudly tucked those ribbons in his back pocket and carried them around the rest of the night.


He wanted to bring home 6 this year and I think he is pretty proud of himself with the 4 he earned.
When we came home he strung some baling twine, in true farmer fashion, to hang his ribbons by his bed.

The last tears came last night before the auction started when Mr. Autio approached him and asked if he would be interested in selling Kody to him.
They settled on a price and gave a handshake.
When Kody gets a little bigger we will deliver him to the Autio family.
 Auction night is a tough time for the kids.
They have spent countless hours with their animals and they get pretty attached.




I learned a few things this week too:
1. Fair and work don't mix!
Next year I will be taking the week off work
2. Let it roll!
I was more bummed that Kody didn't make weight than Jameson was, but as the week went on I realized that for his first year a private buyer was probably better.
Boom DOWN momma!
3. You can tell the difference between kids that are in fair and kids at the fair.
Kids IN fair wear sweatpants tucked in cowboy boots and poop covered shirts and kids (girls) AT fair wear booty shorts and cowboy boots.
4. By Thursday I felt like I was a child on the verge of meltdown. Tears were on the rim of my eyes and a lump was in my throat.
Take a break and GO HOME!
5. There is ALWAYS another fair mom or dad willing to help you with anything.
I hope next year I can be more of a helper instead of the helped.
and
6. I can't wait until next year!

One thing I already knew, but was reconfirmed this week is that our kids have OODLES
of people who support and love them.
Both sets of grandparents
Great Grandma Betty and Papa Dick
Auntie and Ryan
Uncle Jim, cousins Kelly and Sam
and some of our friends came to watch.
I received numerous texts asking how he was doing and if we needed anything.
My cup runneth over..
 Thank you for loving us so fully.

It's been a whirlwind week and all I've done today is mow the yard, shower, buy groceries and rest.
The only other plans I have are to eat dinner and sit by the fire with a bowl of popcorn tonight.
I'm exhausted and proud.
I am a 4H mom and I survived my first Clastop County Fair!

Blessed is me...


No comments:

Post a Comment