Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What's your word?





Yesterday I had a client/friend bring in her daughter for a haircut.
While we were visiting she asked me
"do you have a word for 2014?"
I wasn't sure what she meant and asked her to explain.
She picks one word for the entire year to focus on.
Last year she picked
"enjoy"

Enjoy:
Take delight or pleasure in
She wants to enjoy all the moments that are big and small
She wants to enjoy every second with her kids and husband
She wants to enjoy the good and bad moments

It got me thinking yesterday
What would my word be?
Can I even pick just one word?
It stayed with me all day right from my first appointment.

So far I have thought about:

Grace
simple elegance or refinement of movement;
do honor or credit to;
the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings
What if I could be more graceful with my words, thoughts and actions?
What if I could extend more grace to others?
What if I could extend more grace to myself?

Love:
a feeling of strong or constant affection for a person; an assurance of affection;
unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another
What if I could love more fully?
What if I could not just say I loved, but actually acted it out?
What if I loved when I didn't like or I didn't want to?

Action:
The state or process of acting or doing; Something done or accomplished; Manner of movement
Could I put into action all the ideas I have in my head?
Could I get up and get moving?
I want to.

I have a lot of words rolling around in my little head and how can I just choose one for the entire year?
I am really leaning towards grace.
Grace with my kiddos when they are having a rough day.
Grace with The Farmer when he isn't doing something the way I want him to or in my time frame.
Grace with others when plans change
Grace with people I don't know standing in front of me at the grocery store.
Grace for the people who's stories I can only assume, but don't really know.
Grace for myself when I can't get it all done and I have piles of laundry, dishes stacked up and I feed my family a frozen pizza for dinner.
Gracefully keeping my trap shut and my opinions to myself-that's gonna be tough.

I love this concept of picking a word and really acting on it.
This year I choose grace.
Do you want to join me?
Pick a word; any word
Remember it and put it to work.


But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Blessed is me...

No comments:

Post a Comment