Sunday, December 1, 2013

She will always be my peanut butter

Today is December 1 which means soon she will slide into my cash box her last lease payment.
It is a day that is filled with sadness, happiness, joy and excitement.
In less than a month she will box up her things.
Shut the lights off.
Close the door and lock it one last time.
She is off on her own.

I have had people leave the salon for their own adventures before and I probably will again.
However, this one is different.
She and I have shared a lot of things.
She has been with me since almost the start.
We became like sisters.
She was my best.
We have shared in highs and lows.
Life and death.
I was privileged to share in the big and small of life.

I was there the day she found out she was pregnant.
At 1310 Duane
It was surreal.
A momma, she was gonna be a momma of twins!
A great one I might add.
I got to hold those precious lives in my arms while they were at their most delicate.
The NICU will punch your right in the gut. 
Little lives so precious some hanging on by a thread.
She tended to those boys like she had done it hundreds of times.
A natural born mother.

She shared Grams love with me.
For the longest time I didn't even know what Grams name was because everyone called her
"Gram"
Her name is Mary.
What a special lady so full of life and love.
I loved hearing stories about how Gram would attend every sporting event supporting her littlest girl.
 She called me when Gram got sick and I held her in her room while she cried.
Life changes in a fleeting moment.
When Gram went to be with Jesus a party was held in her honor.
As my 7 year old put it
"no one is sad at Grams party because we know shes with Jesus"
It was a beautiful day with filled with stories, laughter, tears, messages sent on a balloon string and a sunshine yellow dress.

We have been on many adventures into the big city.
We call them adventures cause we can get lost even with GPS.
It always includes:
Saving the world
Starbucks
Road trip snacks, candy for me and Gardetto's  or Chex Mix for her
and
laughing; LOTS of laughing.

2 of our most memorable hotel stays are the Shiloh and the Benson
The Shiloh was terrifying in the way of the super loud head banging music all night, kids running up and down the hall and a blood stained pillow-we called for a new one.
We laugh now, but then we woke up exhausted.
The Benson was a real treat until we got into our room.
Our first room shared a wall with the elevator.
It was real loud and the lightbulbs in the lamp were burned out!
When we called and asked to be moved they gladly obliged.
They moved us to a room on the tippy top floor all the way to the end of the hall.
There was a mirror at the end of the hall.
It was like the Exorcist!
I guess that is what you get when you score the Benson for $55.00!
Note: they will know you are small town girls when you have chase the valet because you forgot to tip him.

We have spent mornings texting only to spend the whole day working together and end the day with more texting.
I am sure our husbands thought we needed an intervention, but there is important stuff to talk about.

We have shared in Friendsgiving, early morning family breakfast and Christmas tree hunting.
We have commiserated about how we just want to stay home on holidays instead of going here there and everywhere.
The holiday season can be a busy one!

We have camped and fed each others kids sticky messy delicious
s'mores.
Played chubby bunny around the camp fire
and enjoyed yummy mimosas for breakfast.

When we had the big "November Storm" which would have been called a hurricane in others areas.
We blew across the street leaving work together laughing and making sure each other didn't blow away.

When we moved the salon from Duane to Commercial she spent countless hours painting over the black and white decor.
She bundled up her babies and brought their pack and play so they could hang out while she worked.
It was a big job!
She was a life saver in getting that place move in ready!

When we had the tsunami warning a few years back I woke up to approximately 
2000 texts and calls from her asking if we were awake.
We weren't.
That is until our neighbor banged on our door at 2am waking our entire house so we could watch the news.
More texting.
When the coast was clear we moved into our disaster preparedness.
What we needed to have on hand and how quick we could get to high ground.
How we would get to our kids if they weren't with us.
General information that made us feel ready for anything.
I have turned to her in times of need, stress, celebration and business decisions.
I have bounced ideas, parenting questions and
I have complained about Jer to her.
She in turn has done the same.
Sometimes we share a brain and finish each other sentences.

Things are changing as they always do.
I don't always love change, but I know this is right.
She is going to do great.
Jer told me "it is to be expected that a great hairdresser will eventually open her own salon"

While our friendship is evolving and becoming different as life always does
I hope she knows that
I have treasured every single moment

She will always be the
Busch Light to my Nascar
Year round Christmas lights to my trailer
Beaver fan to my Duck fan
Cheese to my macaroni
Jelly to my peanut butter.

Blessed is me...

No comments:

Post a Comment