Sunday, November 17, 2013

I drink Starbucks coffee and own a small business

Yesterday I was heading home from a mini road trip with my AWESOME friend Natalie when we stopped at one of my favorite burger joints.
Bugerville!
I enjoyed the deliciousness that is a pepper bacon cheeseburger.
While I was there I inquired where the nearest Starbucks was because I love a road trip coffee.
The young man behind the counter said
"There is a Dutch Bros (gross) that way and such and such (I can't remember the name) coffee shop that way. The such and such shop is locally owned and the DB is a franchise in case you want to shop local"
I replied:
"Dutch Bros are typically locally own franchises" I then leaned closer and said "and you work at a franchise"
He meekly replied "I know" and got back to work.

I am not a fan of the thinking that just because a business isn't perceived as "local" that we shouldn't support it.
Often I get flack when people see me with my giant cup of goodness from Starbucks.
People ask why I would drink coffee from a place as vile as a dirty corporation like Starbucks; especially since I own a small business.
So, here is why.
I like it.
That's it. 
I like Starbucks coffee.

To be honest I like all sorts of coffee and frequent many "local" places
Journeys End and Downtown Coffee (both owned by the same family) has by far the best iced white chocolate americano in Clatsop County and
14th Street Coffee has thick foamy perfectly made caramel lattes.
Coffee Addictions butter beer latte.
Ivy League (now closed) had a concoction called "the squatch"

Here is the bone I have with the shop local crap people try to guilt me with.
I work hard for my money and I get to spend it where I want to.
I also think people let the "shop local" mantra work when it fits for them. 
For instance where do you buy your groceries?
 Fred Meyer? Costco? Safeway?
Where do you buy your clothes?
Online? Maurices? Fred Meyer?
Where do you get your prescriptions?
Walgreens? Costco? Fred Meyer?
Those are NOT what some consider local businesses, but I bet all you "shop local" pushers shop there.

All of these businesses may be "big box" and  "corporations", but they also employ our LOCAL friends, family and the people who spend money in our community.
Yes, I own a small business, but I don't expect people to support me just because I am local.
I strive for great customer service, excellent cuts, colors etc, educated stylists and therapists.
I work my tail off to ensure the best we have to offer.
I support the businesses that support me and that I like.
That. Is. It.

There are also places I will not support and I don't care if they are local or not.
If your business name has a cuss word and I have to explain to my kids why. I will not come in.
If I order lunch from you and you hang the phone up on me because you're "busy". I will not come back in.
Being a "local" business doesn't give you a right to peoples business.
Running a top notch place with great customer service and quality products makes for a place people WANT to go to!

When you see me with my coffee of choice it's ok if you don't agree with where I bought it from because chances are you like something I don't agree with either and that is ok..

Blessed is me...

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! This is exactly the way I feel about "local" shopping! You said it so much better than I could have. I enjoy reading your posts, Kallie!

    ReplyDelete