Sunday, July 20, 2014

Paulina Lake


Today we ended our 5 day camping trip to Paulina Lake.
We camped with 43 of our friends.
It was GLORIOUS and just what we needed.
We can't wait to go back!

This group is made up of a bunch of dudes (including Rachel) that The Farmer has been friends with since elementary school.
One friend, Phil, has been his best friend since their moms met in birthing class.
These friends are now raising kids who are also friends.
Here is Mad holding Phils son Amon.


This is a camping trip we look forward to all year long.
A reason to reconnect in real life and have real conversations.
In the last four years the group has expanded with new friends and more kids.
We love every inch of it.

We spend time chatting about the "good ole days"
Funny things our kids say and do
unplugging, for the most part, from technology
playing outside, getting dirty
and eating more than we will ever need to.

There is always an "auntie", "uncle"
or a "momma"
to make sure the kids are towing the line and getting what they need.
I love knowing that there are so many people our kids can count on and are loved by.
Our kids know it too.
There can never be too many people that love your kids.

I woke up and spent my mornings here in the quietest part of the day.
All alone.
I drank coffee and read an entire book.
I also spent a lot of time just thinking about how lucky we truly are.


We rode bikes.
The kids did laps throughout our camp spot.
Big kids always watched out for the little's and the little's tried to keep up with the big kids.
Early one morning some of the kids and I rode out of our camp and over to a horse camp.
The kids even got to pet a pony.


There was fishing.


Playing in the lake.
Jameson and Madalyn really took to kayaking.
I think kayak purchases are in our future.
I even went out of the lake even though I am afraid of the water.
I actually really loved it and can't wait to go again.


We ate ridiculous amounts of food.
There is never a shortage and this year we had a seafood feast!


There is a great trail around the lake that is beautiful.
Quiet and serene.
A perfect place to clear your mind.

We hiked up to Paulina Plunge which is a naturally occurring rock water slide.
It was a fun time for all!
Here is The Farmer with is tough hat on headed down one slide.
Notice the tan lines!
and here is Mad going down the other slide.
She didn't love going under water.


Next time I will be better prepared with more drinking water, some snacks for the kiddos and better shoes.
I might even get brave and go!

Friday night after dinner we surprised the kids with a pinata!
It was a hit for sure!
They whacked and whacked from youngest to oldest until candy flew all over the ground.
Maybe next year we can have an adult one!


 Last night was our last sleep and Michael took us up to Paulina Peak.
While the drive up the side of the mountain was terrifying for me the view was impeccable.
I can't even describe how beautiful it was. 




The view went for miles and miles and only got more breathtaking the longer you looked at it.

There was of course smores and campfire.
Laughing until all hours of the night and early morning.


These are the memories our kids are going to have when they look back on their lives.
I would take 1 camping trip with these people over 100 trips around the world.
I hear the kids say things like
"Michael picked me up and turned me upside down"
"When can we go camping again"
"Bailee is really nice"
This is what I want our kids to look back on and remember.
Time is valuable and for the last 5 days 43 people gave us their time.
There is no better gift.

On the drive home I couldn't stop thinking about how much I love these people.
These dudes, plus Rachel, are The Farmers wolf pack.
They are the people he can count on when he is at the peak of life and walking in the darkest days.
They will never be too busy to take his call.
They love him.
They love us.

They have been together through 
life, death, marriage, celebration and defeat.
Some don't talk often, but can pick up right where they left off.
They are the friends that come along once in a lifetime.
They are our family and we couldn't feel more grateful than we do today for getting to share in their lives.

The countdown to Pauline 2015 is on!

Blessed is me...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am "Auntie", "Neenee", one of the "Dude's", and part of the BEST WOLF PACK EVER! So blessed that I have these wonderful life long friendships and that my kids get to build the same friendships with the Wolf Pack's kids!! <3 Our annual camping trip is MY FAV!!!

    ReplyDelete