Monday, December 14, 2015

It's My Highlight Reel

I love meme's.
Seriously, whoever invented those is a genius.
So hilarious 
Except one.
There is one I loathe.
It pops up in my news feed sometimes and I hate it everytime.



Wait. What?
Pretend or just share the highlights?

I just share-or overshare- the highlights of my life.

Do people really want to know the real life?
Like the dirt.
Like the hard heavy stuff.


This is what I think some of those posts would read like. 
Some of these are even what my actual real life moments have been in the last two years. 
I'll let you decide which ones are mine and which ones are made up.

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I'm worried that there is more month at the end of my money and I'm not sure I will make it to pay day"

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"My marriage is on the brink of destruction"

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I've been sitting here staring at this bottle of pills and things would be so much easier if I just swallowed all of them. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow"

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I'm gay and my parents will disown me if I tell them"

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I wonder where my husband is. Is he dead in a ditch?"

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I laid on my bathroom floor last night drenched in sweat with a dry mouth heart pounding gripped with anxiety. I felt out of control and today I'm exhausted, but my kids need me to care for them."

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"As the hot water pounded against my skin and my tears wash down the drain I wonder if she thinks about me as much as I think about her."

Facebook "What's on your mind?"
"I drank my way through a 5th of whiskey every day this week because life is too hard to deal with. I don't want to, but I've become an addict."


I mean is this really what people want to read? 
Do they want to see the pictures of what this looks like or do they just want to enjoy the highlights?
Do people care that this is real life enough to reach out to love someone?

Oh and if this is really what people shared then there would be the meme about 
where your dirty laundry goes.
You know. 
Not on Facebook.

Can we all just agree that Facebook, Instagram and wherever else we share the parts of our lives
are the highlights.
The best parts.
The good stuff and just
enjoy it.


Blessed Is Me...

No comments:

Post a Comment